How Playing an Instrument Benefits Your Brain
Did You Know?
- National Association of Secondary School Principals reports 66% of all college freshmen drop out after the 1st year. In contrast, 96% of band students graduate from Universities.
- American Medical Association states that the #1 admittance to medical schools are students that majored in music as undergraduates. Pre-med majors are #2.
- 96% of our nation’s astronauts performed in the fine arts during their school years, including Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon. Mr. Armstrong was a talented euphonium player in middle and high school band.
- It's a fact that music students represent the top of the academic scale in our schools. We know they're averaging 68 points higher on SAT exams and regularly score higher on standarized tests.
- Admission criteria into most major universities put at the top of the list, commitment through the senior year to an extra-curricular activity such as band.